Every SAFe portfolio is comprised of a collection of Value Streams and added constructs essential to offer governance and funding for the services, products as well as Solutions, which the Enterprise must fulfill.
Along with those small and medium-sized businesses today, one single SAFe portfolio could generally be utilized to direct the whole technical solution set. On the other hand, to those bigger businesses, normally those along with over 500 to 1,000 technical practitioners, there could be countless portfolios, one for every line of business:
One ART, 1 value stream, value stream level not required
Countless value streams where some comes along with different ART and complete solution context required
Different SAFe portfolios by which some smaller, some larger
Essential Guidance on How Enterprise Could Communicate and Define
What does a SAFe Portfolio Symbolize?
This portfolio represents the utmost and highest level of issues articulated within SAFe. In addition to that, each program involves primarily a collection of Value Streams, which offer value. The level talks about the constructs necessary, which includes:
(2) Portfolio Backlog
(3) Lean-Agile Budgeting
(4) Portfolio Kanban System
(5) Program Portfolio Management or PPM, etc.
Nevertheless, bear in mind that every portfolio is present for a one reason and that is to complete or accomplish its contribution in the direction of realizing the whole Enterprise strategy. How could this be done? The answer to that question is very simple. This is accomplished through aligning every vision of the portfolio into the strategy of the enterprise.
The main mechanisms for making this are those value streams, the whole portfolio budget, strategic themes, which correspond to changing strategic intent as well as to the constant feedback using portfolio context.
Know more about Single Enterprise SAFe – Things to Consider
1. Bigger Enterprises Have Countless Instances of SAFe – In order to obtain larger purposes, enterprise would have countless SAFe portfolios, all having its own budget as well as strategic themes that represent that portion of the unit of the business strategy.
2. Portfolio Contexts Updates Enterprise Strategy – Development strategy must have continuous communication, collaboration as well as alignment from and with the downstream portfolios. In a nutshell, this needs complete and full understanding of the portfolio context that involves:
• Qualitative Data which includes weaknesses, strengths, market, threats, opportunities, analysis and accumulated solution as well as business knowledge of portfolio stakeholders.
• Key Performance Indicators that is present on the portfolio in order to present essential feedback into the financial and qualitative measure like market share, innovation counting, customer net promoter score and so much more.
3. Strategy Formulation – Understanding and defining the strategic themes and portfolio budget is one of the important exercises when it comes to strategy formulation.
4. Decentralize Execution – According to the Principle #9 of SAFe, which is Decentralize Decision Making, the creation or formulation of the business strategy is mainly a centralized however collaborative concern that the enterprise fiduciaries as well as key portfolio stakeholders serves as a central role. In addition, execution of the solution strategy, nevertheless, is decentralized into the portfolio and is sustained by constant feedback, transparency, right portfolio metrics and KPIs.