Have you ever thought how it’s cool to get up every morning and take up your favorite activities as soon as possible? Get up, and clearly know what to do and how to do it? To know what will happen in the end, to be sure that you will do it better than anyone else, and fervently believe that this is the meaning of your life? And in the evenings thinking that tomorrow you will wake up early and immediately take up your favorite activity! You say this cannot happen?
Residents of the northern part of the island of Okinawa (Japan) will not agree with you, because they live this way every day. They know one important secret which they call ikigai.
Ikigai is a part of the local culture. The meaning of this word can be explained as a very important reason that makes me wake up in the morning. And this is one of the most important elements of life in Okinawa, contributing to the active longevity of local residents. In Okinawa, there is no such thing as retirement.
In fact, the knowledge of his ikigai is the answer to the question of the meaning of life and daily efforts. This is the answer to the questions “what am I doing here,” “why am I living,” “what benefit do I bring,” “how can I be the most useful and in demand,” “what am I happy to do,” etc.
Ikigai is a comprehensive concept that influences a person’s entire life. And finding your ikigai is a very important step. It’s like finding yourself, your way, your meaning of life, your destiny. Okinawa residents learn this from childhood because it is part of the culture.
How to find your ikigai?
Sometimes it is very difficult if you grew up in Western culture. But you can do some steps to understand the meaning of your existence, the purpose of your life and your destiny. But it is important to understand that ikigai is a combination of a clear understanding of your place in life, your natural inclinations, and talents, meeting your immediate needs and trying to realize your dreams. These are some simple steps you can do.
1. Constantly try to define the purpose of your life. Ask yourself “why do I live,” “what is the most important goal of my life,” “what do I want to devote my life to?”
2. Questions that will help to find your ikigai:
What are you especially proud of? What do you like to do most of all? What are you reading? What are you interested in on the Internet? What do you like to talk and think about for a long time? Whom do you see yourself in your dreams?
3. Are there any famous people whose lives you really like? What is their ikigai, in your opinion?
4. If you feel that you are not doing something that is worth waking up in the morning, slow down the pace. Give up boring meetings, unnecessary contacts, and responsibilities. Try to be regularly alone.
5. Get enough sleep every day. There is nothing better than loading the brain with questions and then get enough sleep.
6. Reach out to the people who are keen on their activities and actively do their best to achieve their goals.
7. Do you have a sufficiently high level of knowledge and education to do what you really want to do? If not, immediately look for a teacher, all the necessary books, trainings, etc.
8. The business of your own should bring you a sense of growth and development, self-esteem, and dignity. You should be proud of it. If you are not, you should change something.
11. Sort yourself out. Read books on psychology, communicate with people, try to understand how they see you, what they think of you.
12. Look for something you really like. Do not be afraid to experiment. Throw it away if something went wrong. Start from scratch again and again. It is normal to seek your happiness. You do not owe anything to anyone if it does not bring you happiness and pleasure from life.
Have you already found your ikigai?
— Slimane Zouggari